Your Melbourne Hot Air Balloon Flight
For things to do in Melbourne, a hot air balloon flight over Melbourne is a breathtaking way to see the highlights of our city. Melbourne’s famous attractions are an unforgettable experience from the air: the MCG, the Shrine of Remembrance, the Albert Park Formula 1 racetrack and the Yarra River winding its way through the suburbs. As you float peacefully in the morning sky, you will experience a side of Melbourne that few people have seen – the birds-eye view.
Your experience continues after your flight with our champagne breakfast on Level 35 of the Sofitel Hotel. With 180-degree views of the city, there is no better way to finish off a perfect morning.
Your Melbourne Hot Air Balloon Flight includes:
- One-hour (approx) hot air balloon flight over Melbourne
- Melbourne’s Best Hot Air Ballooning Breakfast at No35 on Level 35 of the Sofitel Hotel (optional)
- One of Australia’s most experienced hot air balloon pilots and crew
- Full flight and ground insurance
- Transport from the CBD to and from the launch and landing sites
- Free inner city transfers for locations within the CBD, Southbank & Docklands only
- Complimentary tea and coffee before your flight at the Sofitel Lounge
- Camera attached to the balloon taking photos of you and your stunning city background, available after your flight on USB
- Easy car parking near our meeting place
- Flight certificate (optional)
On the morning of your hot air balloon flight:
We meet at Sofi's Lounge at the Sofitel Hotel on Collins St. Our meeting time is about an hour before sunrise, and varies throughout the year. Free inner-city transfers are available.
Tea and coffee is provided in the lounge.
You will meet your pilot and crew, and can ask them anything you want to know about hot air balloons.
After a short briefing by your pilot, we transport you to the launch site.
The launch site is chosen by the pilot based on the wind directions on the morning.
On the launch site you can assist with the inflation of the balloon, take photos, or watch the whole process, as you wish.
Once the balloon is inflated, your pilot will give you a final briefing and you’re off into the sky.
No motors, no noise. You're floating gently in the air.
Because you are moving with the wind, you won’t feel any wind chill.
Enjoy the spectacular views of Melbourne city, the Dandenongs, Port Phillip Bay and Melbourne's surrounds.
You'll fly for approximately one hour on your Melbourne hot air ballooning adventure.
If you are interested in more detailed information about how balloons fly and steer, see our FAQ or ask your pilot on the day.
Your pilot will land the hot air balloon in one of Melbourne’s many parks or gardens.
If you would like to help pack up the hot air balloon the crew would love your help, and will show you the technique.
Family or friends can join you for the full hot buffet breakfast with champagne experience to celebrate your hot air balloon flight. Tell us before your flight and we will book them in for $50 per person.
What to wear and bring:
- A warm jacket
- Comfortable layers of clothing
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes and warm socks. We will be walking on grass and parkland so heels are not acceptable. Your feet may get wet so bring a change of socks.
- A hat, cap or beanie. The burners radiate heat, so we recommend a hat, or a beanie in winter.
- Gloves in winter
Notes on clothing:
The coldest part of the morning is on the launch site, because a layer of cold air settles on the ground overnight. Once you are in the air above this layer, the temperature will rise and generally be very comfortable. Because the balloon moves with the wind, you won’t feel any wind chill. As a guide, our pilot flies with a t-shirt and shirt all year round, but bring layers for the launch site.
Parking in the city at the time we meet is close, easy and cheap.
- Lansdowne St next to Treasury Place (see map below) - $3 until almost midday.
- Spring St next to the Treasury Gardens
- Wellington Pde - below the Treasury Gardens